FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
Rad set up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
viensal
Wannabe
Wannabe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Rad set up Reply with quote

Hi,

I have installed a Jetta MK 3 rad underneath my 1979 bay window for a EA82 SPFI. After a real condition ride I noticed that the temp on the engine was higher than expected.

After few test i have concluded that i do not have enough air flow thru the rad. My installation seem to be similar to others, I donít understand.

-When cruising at 100 km/h engine temp is around 225 deg f who is little high for a EA82.
-Rad is a brand new Jetta MK3
-When I read temp at the thermostat = 225 deg F and 150 deg at return so my rad is seem to working fine to me.
-When fan kick in the temp drop quickly and read at the thermostat is 195 deg F.
- Conclusion is I do not have enough air flow naturally thru my rad ?

Here is a sketch of my set up, inlet scoop is at 10cm below the frame to direct the air thru the rad, is it low enough ?
[img]
http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/viensal/media/busrad_zpsecff5441.jpg.html#/user/viensal/media/busrad_zpsecff5441.jpg.html?&_suid=137332179474107547581929663802[/img]
Obonobo
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, first of all congrats on a successful convo!

Just some thoughts on the air flow.
- Are you sure you don't have air leakages? If passing beside the rad is easier than going through, that's what will happen. Did you box in the rad?
- Concerning the fan, it looks like its mounted on top of the rad, near the high side. I had that setup as well and found that the airflow was blocked by the fan! Maybe move the fan towards the front end? I positioned them on the bottom of the rad and made them to pull air through. It works, but I'm not satisfied with the vulnerability of the fans now, hanging out in the open. The airflow is restored now, though.

Hope this may help you! Good luck

And it's a long time since it looked anything like this!
simon1291
Padawan
Padawan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obonobo wrote:
Hi, first of all congrats on a successful convo!

Just some thoughts on the air flow.
- Are you sure you don't have air leakages? If passing beside the rad is easier than going through, that's what will happen. Did you box in the rad?
- Concerning the fan, it looks like its mounted on top of the rad, near the high side. I had that setup as well and found that the airflow was blocked by the fan! Maybe move the fan towards the front end? I positioned them on the bottom of the rad and made them to pull air through. It works, but I'm not satisfied with the vulnerability of the fans now, hanging out in the open. The airflow is restored now, though.

Hope this may help you! Good luck

I think after reading this post I may well have airflow issues too. So by putting the fans on the bottom to draw air up doesn't seem to affect the airflow through?
Mines fine in normal British summer conditions but the freak Summer heat at the moment seems to have the fans on most of time will cruising!
It overheated the other day was a bit difficult to start after filling up with fuel.
Bansheelos
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would definitely like to hear how to fix this issue. I'm having the Same issue. I am using a passat VR radiator with 2 14" electric fans and my fans stay on the whole time driving.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: