FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
vw 1.4tdi Gearbox fitment, whats it the same as?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugsy_malone 666
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: vw 1.4tdi Gearbox fitment, whats it the same as? Reply with quote

I think that sound a little odd, but what I am trying to understand is:

with the 1.4TDi 3cylinder engines, are they the same gearbox fitment as a golf big block engine or a polo small block engine.

I see heritage do kombi adaptor plates for the polo engine and thought, thats fine but is the 1.4TDi deffo a polo engine or did vw do something a bit weird?

Doing Thing Differently.
trev
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as I know (which is limited!!) the 3cyl TDI engine is basically a shortened 4-cylinder PD engine.

The very late Brazilian bay window came with a "small block" mk1/mk2/mk3/6N Polo engine. Different to the usual "big block" engine found in '70s/'80s/'90s Golfs/Passats etc and different again from the PD engines.

For my money, I don't think the Heritage Polo engine adapters will suit the 3cyl TDI, despite the fact that the 1.4TDI was fitted to a more modern series of Polos.
Bugsy_malone 666
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dam plans foiled a bit there then!

I had a 1.6TD in my bay ages back which failed, I am reluctant to spend lots of time rebuilding an engine out of 2 because it needs so much work for a project I dont really have the time for. I came across a 1.4TDi engine for a reasonable price, which as standard puts out the same power as the 1.6TD, however this ones actually been tuned up to 105bhp! and I thought that would make my van move fine!

I am reluctant to buy another expensive adaptor plate, when the polo one is cheap and I already have a KEP big block/T25 bell housing solution I can fit.

I thought the PD engines fitted big block adaptor plates?

Doing Thing Differently.
pkrboo
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1.4tdi PD engine is the same fitment as the 1.9 variant. I have been looking into doing a 1.4tdi pd swap. MV engineering do an engine plate adaptor
Bugsy_malone 666
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well i have the engine now and found that in total it has 8 fixing bolts to its polo gearbox, i have both a t25 bell housing for a diesel and a kep gti engine adaptor plate (basically the same thing) and i found with the t25 bell housing 5 main mounting bolts (the 4 main ones and one extra round the starter motor). So if you were to use the t25 bell housing you'd need to get someone to adapt a sump but standard gti engine adaptor should work.

The engine i have is from a 2000 year polo do later ones may be different, but it seems inherently its the same as old big block golf lumps.

I'll confirm this stuff when i start fitting it in my van.

Doing Thing Differently.
Wilfred
Darth Admin
Darth Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
interesting engine choice. Why did you choose the 1.4, rather than a somewhat bigger engine?

I know nowadays, VW can sqeeuze as many bhp from a 1.4 compared to a 10 year older 1.9 but still....
Bugsy_malone 666
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well few factors really.

Firstly, i had a 1.6td in the van which was 70-80bhp, stock the 1.4tdi is the same, the one i bought has been apparently tunned to 110bhp so it should go quite well.

Secondly the 1.4tdi is shorter meaning much easier fit in the engine bay. Its also a percentage lighter than its 4 pot bigger brother.

I guess also for me cost, this was a complete engine with all the bits,clocks,loom etc, even the polo bell housing so it could be run out of the car for 250 quid, cant say i have seen any 1.9tdi pd engines for that.

Doing Thing Differently.
jp
Darth Admin
Darth Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds really interesting keep us posted... would be a great choice for a bug also.
2013 Scirocco TDI GT
Bugsy_malone 666
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah someone from VZi is actually putting one in a bug, he got an adaptor plate from a company and has a stripped down wiring loom diagram from them.

He's going to email me a copy and I am going to compare against what I have at the moment and the 2000 year golf wiring diagram I have, lets face it golf or polo the wiring isnt going to be much different, it certainly wont be different colours or massively different.

I hope to work out the minimal and use it all wiring versions Happy

Soon as I have everything together I'll start a build thread on here Happy

Doing Thing Differently.
Bugsy_malone 666
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well things have moved on a little bit and I have found out quite alot about the Pd series engines now I have one!

So I have a 1.4tdi engine then it came to the adapter plate, fail. The 1.4tdi engine is the same fitment as 'big block' golf engines meaning a diesel bell housing almost fits (bar some stuff thats in the way), so I thought great I have a golf adapter plate, but it doesnt fit due to the flywheel thickness.

Heres where the technical really bites you, with 3 cylinder engines the flywheel is actually weighted in such a way that you need to use it due to engine vibration.

I have considered making my own adapter plate, but noted how the heritage polo one might offer a solution.

Does anyone know if the polo block hole placement is the same as a golf, but 15degrees forward rather than backward? If this is the case the heritage adapter plate could be turned round and allow use of the golf engine with it too.

Doing Thing Differently.
trev
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

99.9% sure "small block" Polo engines have a different engine to gearbox bolt pattern to the big block engines. If you need to run an adapter, why not make one and whatever thickness it is, investigate machining that much off the gearbox bellhousing so the flywheel face ends up where it is supposed to be.
Bugsy_malone 666
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing is I dont require machining, because the T25 bell housing actually adds 25mm depth, so when you use a 25mm adapter plate the flywheels work fine with the gearboxes (at least I am lead to believe this)

Its more that rather than hand crate an adapter, the Brazilian bay bus one would potentially solve the problem by being turned round and used the other way.

cost wise at present making one from steel seems the cheapest way to do it. 25mm Mild steel though is going to weigh a bit!

Doing Thing Differently.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Waterkooled Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: