Thanks Trev, but do you know the code off your gearbox? (3 letters)
Obviously its the same box across the ranges, but they all have different ratios...some more suitable for the bus conversion. I was curious what yours is as it sounds like it works well with the conversion now.
I have some silicone hose elbows on order to cure some small boost leaks on my bodged together boost pipes
I finally got around to sorting out the boost leak and curing the unusual boost behaviour, when the pedal was planted, it would build boost quickly, drop it quickly then slowly build it back up again. Not great for overtaking!!
I bought 4x 90 degree 51mm ID silicone hose elbows from Auto Silicone Hoses on ebay and a metre of their 51mm OD aluminium pipe. With the parts in hand and new NORMA hose clips ready to go, I remade all the boost pipes properly. They had been a complete lash-up with whatever I had to hand at the time, namely some recycled mk3 TDI boost pipes and some salvaged 2" mild steel exhaust pipe.
I ended up only using about 150mm of the 1M pipe, cut into three 50mm joiners and flared using a DIY flaring tool. It's an old LIDL (disposable!) Vice Grips with a small-ish thick washer welded to one jaw and two dished washers first welded to each other then welded to the other jaw of the grips, opposite the first washer. The result is a rudimentary flaring tool, small enough to get inside a 51mm pipe.
Three of the four elbows were cut down in some way to make them fit the space available. Once everything was refitted and clamped up tight, I took it for a spin, watching the boost gauge on the Torque app closely. Weird dropping boost behaviour was fixed immediately and the annoying whooshing from the engine bay when on boost was cured completely. The whole repair cost nearly €100 but that's the job done permanently now and I won't have to think about it again so it's money well spent. And I have some pipe and silicone hose straights left over.
12 months on and I made a small modification to the height of the engine. I lowered the engine in the engine bay by 1". After about 5000 miles of TDI driving in the last 12 months, the CV joints were clicking on the overrun. Fine on acceleration or cruising but using engine braking causes the engine to rise slightly on its mounts (torque reaction) and this put the CVs *just* into their uncomfortable zone. So dropping the engine by 25mm sorted that out.
other than that and the few teething issues mentioned here it's been a dream. Runs cool, no problem with dragging the ground, great power, plenty of speed, good for towing, good fuel economy, quieter than the old 1Y diesel. It's a win-win all round!!
oh, I'd like to thank Photobucket for ruining my build thread and the thousands of other build threads world wide.
fcuk you photobucket, fcuk you very much...
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum