FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
Gearbox for late bay with Golf Tdi engine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leckypete
Wannabe
Wannabe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Gearbox for late bay with Golf Tdi engine Reply with quote

Hi all,
Have bought a T25 already fitted with a Tdi engine but am going to fit engine in a 1977 bay. Looking for a gearbox to fit the bay more suited to the Golf Tdi engine (revs wise) if anyone has a suitable box please get in touch, would do deal with the T25 petrol gearbox i have (4 speed, 6 rib 091)

Thanks,
Peter.
Wilfred
Darth Admin
Darth Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a box, but keep in mind the ratios in the different TDI gearboxes differ a LOT!

You can have a box where you go 130 in 5th at 2500 revs, and a box that only does 90 at 2500 revs in 5th. Make sure you calculate what you want/need.
Leckypete
Wannabe
Wannabe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, dont think will be doing 90 in it though, just came without engine or box and have never liked the racket the old air cooled engines make.
This T25 came up partially done locally so thats route am taking, was going to use T25 petrol box it came with bt now know gear linkage is different to T2, maybe able to modify T2 linkage??

Regards,
Peter.
Wilfred
Darth Admin
Darth Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am talking in Kilometers per hour, so 90 is reasonable :-)

you can modify the t3 gearbox to fit the t2 linkage. You can take off the front, and fit a T2 front on the T3 box, but keep in mind that this job will take you a day work.
Leckypete
Wannabe
Wannabe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for telling me that the linkage can be used by changing the end case, i have looked to see if anyone has modified the later T25 / T3 to T2 without sucess so good to know can be done!
Is it a case of swapping over case with the hooked ball (T2) onto a T3 box, do you have a link to doing the swap?
Time not an issue, its a long term project.

Many Thanks,
Peter.
Wilfred
Darth Admin
Darth Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a guy on a Dutch forum, who did the swap. But he dide not make pictures or something like that.

the internals for the T2 and T3 boxes are exactly the same, it is just the shifting mechanism that is different. But because the internals are the same, you can make it fit. It is just the position where the shifter is put that is different.

I still think though that you would be better off with a TDI gearbox, and flip this using the adapter or cut and weld the bellhousing.

The longest gears from either a T2 or T3 box are used in the AAP gearbox, but even this are very short for a TDI. you'll be revving way too high for a diesel engine, at reasonable speed. On top of that, the AAP boxes are crazy expensive and other boxes are even shorter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> For Sale/Wanted All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: