FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
Larger Steel Wheels

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Modifications & Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trainspotter
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Larger Steel Wheels Reply with quote

Hi

Wonder if any one can assist?

I am wanting to use larger wheels, ideally steel wheels that can be made to look standard (ish) 15" or 16" on a 71 bay

any suggestions, I am running standard suspension and still want to be able to turn the wheels at low speeds etc

Any advice greatly received

Thanks

Trainspotter
ElusiveStranger
Darth Admin
Darth Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you I'm afraid.

But I love steels on buses, feck alloys.
Vans are meant for builders, fire crews, airports, 'bulances.... camping

Turning the wheels at low speed? Tried spinach? or Vauxhal Corsa C power steering?

'78 Bay, 2 litre 091 box, EJ20 NA & the ashtray's on the 'right' side.
I don't lean forward for hills any more Grin
Bugger, missed out on "Live fast, die young"
easy-does-it
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your bus wide five or small five??
trainspotter
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Larger Steel Wheels Reply with quote

Hi

Yep good point, small five pattern

any ideas?

Thanks

Lex
Neil-C
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lex,

I use a 17" steel Merc space saver as my spare. I run 16" alloys ( sorry Elusive ) and big disks all round so needed something to clear the calipers as a spare, cost 10 on ebay.I,m fairly sure you can find them in 15",16" and 17", only problem is that you will only get one at a time, not that common and will have to do some research as to which model will have the right width and offset for you, but at least the PCD is correct. Ditch the space saver tyre, and fit a proper tyre.
I sure someone on here has already done this, collecting a set over time, but I can't remember who, anybody help with the relevant thread?

Neil.

Last edited by Neil-C on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
MagnumR
Initiate Jedi
Initiate Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would not 16" Syncro wheels work if you have too large brakes to fit together with the standard 14" wheels?
easy-does-it
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, look for merc wheels....... or sharan/galaxy/alabarathing(seat one) they run the 5x 112 pcd and came with 15" steels as standard
trainspotter
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: 16" steel wheels Reply with quote

All

Sound advice will do some digging and let you know how I get on

Thanks again
ronmidg
Wannabe
Wannabe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have fitted 16 inch Vito steels to 71 with 175R16 fronts and 205 rears, the offset isn't perfect, needed 3mm spacers at rear so used same at front, and had to adjust the steering stops at the front a little. The 205 fill the rear arch but can still be removed without deflating, the fronts needed the steering stops on the beam adjusting a little. The front rear difference got rid of the high front low rear and levelled the bus stance, and I can get under the engine without jacking. (it is still lawn mower) and the steering is lighter.
illzlee
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i run merc 15" steels on the back of my late bay, can be a bit of a pig to change the wheels - mostly due to the massive tyres i run tho!
naskeet
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronmidg wrote:
have fitted 16 inch Vito steels to 71 with 175R16 fronts and 205 rears, the offset isn't perfect, needed 3mm spacers at rear so used same at front, and had to adjust the steering stops at the front a little. The 205 fill the rear arch but can still be removed without deflating, the fronts needed the steering stops on the beam adjusting a little. The front rear difference got rid of the high front low rear and levelled the bus stance, and I can get under the engine without jacking. (it is still lawn mower) and the steering is lighter.

The factory-standard, 1971~79 VW Type 2's 5½J x 14 inch steel wheels have an offset of 39 mm. If I remember rightly, the Mercedes Vito wheels have an offset of 50 mm, which is far from ideal.

In the absence of spacers of at least 11 mm thickness (i.e. 11 mm = 50 - 39 mm), use of 50 mm offset wheels on a 1971~79 VW Type 2, would result in a reduction of 22 mm in the wheel-track dimension, which is known to be illegal in some countries; which might include Great Britain and at least some European countries. Wheel spacers are also illegal in some countries. Even if not illegal, I have vague memories of reading that it could invalidate one's motor insurance.

On the 1980~92 VW Transporter T3 (aka Type 25 or Vanagon), for which factory-fitted, 39 mm offset 5½J x 14 inch steel wheels were also the standard specification, there was the option of fitting 6J x 14 inch or 6J x 15 inch (South African option) alloy wheels with a 30 mm offset. I have been told that the 16 inch steel wheels for the 1985~92 VW Transporter Syncro, also had a 30 mm offset.

So far as inboard & outboard, rear wheel-arch clearances are concerned, a wheel offset of circa 35~36 mm would be optimal, based upon measurements of my own 1973 VW Type 2.

In the future, I shall be retro-fitting to my 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan (awaiting transplantation of a circa 90 horsepower, 1911 cm³ VW Type 4 style air-cooled engine) a set of Mercedes C-Class 7J x 16 inch alloy wheels, with a 37 mm offset, to which I shall fit either 205/65 R16C or 215/65 R16C commercial-van tyres.

In principle, I one could also fit 195/65 R16C or 225/65 R16C tyres to this size of wheel, but 205/65 R16C or 215/65 R16C commercial-van tyres are said to be the optimal sizes for a 16 x 7 inch wheel, with regard to handling and ride comfort.

For a 1971~79 VW 1600 Type 2 with factory-standard 50 horsepower, 1584 cm³ VW Type 1 style air-cooled engine, 195/60 R16C or 205/60 R16C commercial-van tyres of smaller external circumference would be more appropriate.

There are a variety of Mercedes C-Class or E-Class 15 or 16 inch steel or alloy wheels, which would be more suitable regarding rim-width and offset than the Mercedes Vito wheels, for the 1971~79 VW Type 2s.

Use of 16 inch wheels, now offer the greatest choice with regard to 60-Series and 65-Series commercial-van tyres of external circumferences most appropriate to the engine-gearing and speedometer calibration of the 1971~79 VW Type 2s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Modifications & Upgrades All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: