FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
Quick help! What would I need to get it running?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sven
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Quick help! What would I need to get it running? Reply with quote

Ok, I've found this pretty good looking old fart from -85 with a broken engine. It has been parked on a hay barn for years now after a trip when they broke the 3:d cylinder (no compression). Ah, great for a conversion!
So, the thing is, I have a Scooby engine but it's supposed to go into my bay. And I really would like to have a diesel bus. Isn't this a great bus for a Golf diesel so say?
Help me out quick here! What is the minimum I need to get it up and running? If I buy it, it must be running before new year.
Does the Golf diesel have the same splines? In that case an adapter plate would be super easy to make (plus a distance for the fly wheel of course) and just put the motor in, right?
If I don't upgrade the brakes I must stay below 90 hp to pass MOT.

72panelvan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a nice and original van!

I'd say the easiest route would be to pick up all the t25 diesel parts (bellhousing, mounts, sump) and running it at the 50deg slant, rather than using an upright adapter plate and having to box the engine around it.

Other than that, i'd guess it's a case of wiring in the essential glow plug relay, fitting a diesel starter and little bit's like that. No need to do any extra plumbing if you're purely just look to get it back on the road quickly!
13 window deluxe
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what was the original engine? wasserboxer or diesel? the golf 1.6td engine is prity much the same engine as the t25 1.6td except for hydraulic tappets and the auxillary parts i.e. mounts, sump, flywheel etc the golf clutch is the same spline as the t25 but the golf has a reverse opperating clutch so you need a 25 clutch and flywheel

previous tdi swaps: gone but not forgotten
1979 rhd twin slider tintop bay ahu 1.9tdi
1990 T25 1Z 1.9tdi
1993 suzuki samurai with 1Z 1.9tdi
sven
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately he sold it to another guy. BUT...
I have bought this one instead. Happy

It fits perfect (load stuff to the workshop and go surfing), it's a diesel and is in pretty good shape. I'm going to work with it as a "rolling project" and I have something like this in mind (not the same colours, but you get the idea):

So, after loooong consideration and a bunch of sleepless nights I've decided to not continue with my Scooby-into-Bay project. It hasn't been easy to decide because I really love the bus. Some stuff have come in the way though and I can't really do much about 'em.
First of all the rules for the MOT has changed and requires everything from the donor car. I can work around that by changing to ethanol (another injection system is then ok, etc) but it forces me to buy more stuff I already have double setups for.
Second my little company is increasing and I need the space and a working bus right away (that's why I bought the pickup).
Third, I'm forced to move my workshop AGAIN as the house is going to be wrecked for new buildings. Gaaah!!!
And on top of that, there's a big chance we get a second kid next summer. Spare hours, anyone?..

First I was thinking about keeping the gearbox (091, six rib) and make a beetle conversion. But if I do that, I think I'll make a mid mount instead with the gearbox from the donor.

So, anyone who wants any T2 parts, or maybe a EJ20?..
I'll ship it, no problem.
72panelvan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another nice and original looking T25! they've really grown on me of late.

Shame about the bay window, must be heart wrenching given the hours you must have piled into it. hope you can recoup some of the outlay.
sven
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, same here. First they were just ugly. Then I had to buy one. Grin
When it comes to the Bay there's not much I can do, too many things are in the way to finish it as a legal car. It's true that I've put a lot of time, but fortunately not so much money. And the brake system I've made for it will end up on a pickup!
Jeeser
Wannabe
Wannabe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another nice and original looking T25! they've keto slim diet really grown on me of late.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Volks Power All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: