FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
Sandrail project, which gearbox?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yeti
Wannabe
Wannabe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Sandrail project, which gearbox? Reply with quote

help
Hi All
total newbie here. I have bought a sandrail (marks dream shack) with a 1970 beetle 1300 floorpan, already in.
I want to end up with a Subaru turbo engine, either impreza turdo or legacy gtb twin turbo. At the mo, just starting building the front from a doner 1972.
From reading the sections on gear boxes, I believe i need to find a gear box from a bay window?? but I`m open to advice as you probably know alot more about the best route to go down.
Appreciate your comments, Yeti
Kai
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate of mine has a uva fugitive, has a dog poo pinto engine and bus 2 litre gearbox. Thing readily does wheelies.

If your gonna go the subaru route then the best box is the subarugears option. I could imagine the thing would be pretty letheal though.

Don't sleep and drive!!!
Yeti
Wannabe
Wannabe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: sand rail gearbox? Reply with quote

Hi Kai
thats what I`m hopeing for ! Wink always liked the fugative but this came along at a gret price
from what i can make out a type 2 gear box should do the trick though?
cheers Yeti
Yeti
Wannabe
Wannabe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip about subarugears, i will have to weigh up the costs , thanks
Yeti
Wannabe
Wannabe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Suba Sandrail brakes Reply with quote

Hi Kai
Took your advice and ordered subarugears for my sandrail
Stripping a subaru impreza at the moment and trying to decide what brakes to use, I have discs on the front. I'm fitting an irs rear with 1303 trailing arms, thinking about type 3 drums but open to advice. ...All tips appreciated
Kai
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice Happy

Speak to API Subaru about building your box. They've done a few now, mine being the first. I didn't have a donar gearbox to use when my kit arrived. I spoke to API and for £550 they supplied me a gearbox fitted with the subarugears kit fitted. They may give you a better price if you give them a gearbox to build it into. I managed to spend a further 2.5k on extras with my box help

Have you got a ty754 gearbox? Or it is the earlier ty752?

Brakes..... Well.... If you've got a donar car then use the Subaru brakes. Plenty of people going that route. Other options are type 3 drums, Porsche 924/944 early NA option or one of those cheap empi kits with a mk4 golf calliper. All these options would bolt onto the beetle rear arms.

How about a picture then??!

Don't sleep and drive!!!
Yeti
Wannabe
Wannabe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Suba Sandrail brakes Reply with quote

Hi, it is a ty754.
i was intending having a bash at the box myself but I will speak to API , 2500!? Your scareing me now!
how difficult would fitting subara brakes to beetle front beam and rear ?, I was trying to keep things as simple as poss!
photo to follow
jono5500
Wannabe
Wannabe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: sandrail Reply with quote

hi
im building one as well mines got 944 brakes all round easy ish fit ,thought about going down the scooby route but have stuck with the vee dub for the time being one for cost and also was told it might have road tax free issues if you change it
Yeti
Wannabe
Wannabe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, interesting, but I have ordered new beetle brakes for the time being. I hope the subaru engine doesn't effect the tax.
What type are you building?
Kai
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai wrote:
Good choice Happy

Speak to API Subaru about building your box. They've done a few now, mine being the first. I didn't have a donar gearbox to use when my kit arrived. I spoke to API and for £550 they supplied me a gearbox fitted with the subarugears kit fitted. They may give you a better price if you give them a gearbox to build it into. I managed to spend a further 2.5k on extras with my box help

Have you got a ty754 gearbox? Or it is the earlier ty752?

Brakes..... Well.... If you've got a donar car then use the Subaru brakes. Plenty of people going that route. Other options are type 3 drums, Porsche 924/944 early NA option or one of those cheap empi kits with a mk4 golf calliper. All these options would bolt onto the beetle rear arms.

How about a picture then??!

As you have a donar car you won't need to spend the additional £2.5k I spent on mine. I wanted mine to be awesome. Plus I didn't have any of the bits to make the thing fit into my car.

Pretty sure Todd from Subarugears was making/selling Subaru brake components.

Brake conversions are simple really. You just need a calliper bracket and keep your original disc. But really you should be seeking a bigger disc.

Don't sleep and drive!!!
jono5500
Wannabe
Wannabe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: sandrail Reply with quote

ive got one of marks rails from dreamshack, altho im taking it back for modification ,i want it made into a T bar top to make it easier to get in and out and having a tow bar fitted so i can pull the jetski with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Waterkooled Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: