FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
Time for an update.....
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Time for an update..... Reply with quote

since ive got lots of bits here there and everywhere on this and other sites - ive decided its about time I made ONE thread where i cover all my progress...due to a few other demands on my time lately ive not been doidn as much as I hoped over the summer...that said the rad and duct are pretty much finished, the spare wheel cradle ( pug 106) and 944 space saver is in, the rear heater is in, and im on the case with the exahsut which I hope to sort out tonight (a bit more bendy than Id hoped but needs must!!
theres lots more ive done too i expect but i cant rmemebr what my last update was!!! heres a few pics......

rear heater blower from my long since departed ROver 400...it sucks air through the subaru matrix mounted underneath the van. meaning I can save a fair bit of space under the rear seat.....the big tank is a 120L lpg tank. oh and ive also now removed all the interioir...

below is the heater matrix box....ignore the rusty chassis legs this is all on the list to be cleaned up once all the components have been trial fitted

this is the rad and stuff...the front of the van is to the left..its a jag rad with 2 12 inch spal fans - air is fed through a massive duct into an airbox above the rad ..the metal bar to the right of the pic is the corner of the 106 cradle which fits the 944 wheel perfectly.
again it all looks a bit tatty - but this is trial fit before strip and shultz.

finally....my exhaust - using a 3 inch downpipe from ebay (mainly cos it has a twin mouth (one for the wastegate) and it cost me 50, and lots of bits from Jetex and a spare evo 9 HKS centre section...ive cut and shut this system.....its a bit bendy....but theres lots of stuff to avoid!! the bit i havent done yet....cut down the big long str8 pipe, add a u bend and feed into a split silencer box - this comes out with 2 2.5 inch pipes which will finish in front of the drivers side rear wheel....hence I have cut my jacking points of too...and it looks smoother without em.

theres probably more but thats all for now....im off on hols for 2 weeks...so i dont see therell be much progress til september!!
jp
Darth Admin
Darth Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Pics if Riches progress

stinless zorst tips....hand made jobbies from a guy off Vzi who I found on ebay....top quality stuff - exactly what I wanted to try and avoid the boyracer dustbin look!

this is a bit irelevant to the zorst - due to my chassi mods and the air sus I created a problem for myself regarding the brake bias valve bays have - this is basically a level sensitive valve - as I have air if I decide to run a massive rake one wy or the other then I would effect the braking settings....(i know this is not really ab ig deal) most factory cars use valves run linked to the suspension which doesnt solve my problem...a quick trawl of ebay turned up this rally spec manual valve which I will prob fit near the hand brake to adjust the use of the rear brakes and balance the system....I know....overkill I hear you say...but it fits with the rest of the bus Grin

twin mouth decat down pipe in stainless...50 thanks ebay...advantage being...no cat and free flowing wastegate...claims of 30bhp have been made form similar pipes...I think there will be a gain...but perhaps a little more modest!!!!

trial fit of the back box....the whole system is 3 inch - back box splits from 3inch in to 2x 2.5 inch outs. The systems mixed stinaless and aluminised. not the chopped outrigger...this will be rplaced with a new one...its not as rusty as it looks BTW!!! its just easier to modify a new one on the bench and replace. The lack of jacking point means i will be doing away with all the others too for aesthetic reasons only.

tailpipes fitted....

you cna just about make out the system running back across theu nderside of the van. Mouting rubbers donated by local scrappy.

end result....i like...hope it sounds as good as it looks...btw it exits this side to avoid burning down the awning/ asphixiating my camping companions!

and finally...Jace has been doing this for me for a while due to his TIG abilities...combning the subaru internals into the VW tank so I have a quiter pump and dont have to mess about buying expensive swirl pots etc...again thanks to local scrappy buying the complete tank and paying jase for his time works out cheaper than buying a demon tweaks swirl pot alone (80) it also saves me on the cost of a pump and gives a better end result....i hope.

Cheer JP for the pics....i have an new job...and only have net access at lunch now....RUBBISH!!!!
2013 Scirocco TDI GT
richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bit more progress - i finished the spare wheel carrier off so the underneath is starting to look a bit hectic....spare wheel carrier was from a pug 106, wheels a porsche turbo spacesaver. You can also see the rad install, the exhaust in the background and the pipes from the rear heater matrix - all crammed in between the rails....

once i had done this i wanted to check my ground clearance....alho not too critical due to air suspension i didnt want it competly undrivable on full drop. so for first time in ages it came of the axle stands love i like - and there wa plenty of clearance - altho I will shorten thesump an inch or 2 to be safe - Good to see the number plate /duct isnt too noticable.

and a shot of the new tailpipes...nice and subtle and fully functional witout restriction.

richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bit more progress tonight...ive shabed both the front jacking points as they looked odd on the exhasut side - wehre I had to get rid of one for clearance.....so now it all looks nice and smooth

in the process of doing the same to the rear i realised the jack points from a few years ago werent really up to screath - plus i needed to make a local repair to the chassis rail....(JPoint isnt welded on there yet as i decided I may as well take the ooportunity to renew the rear x-member - although its OK its not good enough and I dont want to do it in a few years time!!)

better pic of the spare wheel...obv all to be cleaned up etc...this is a really eas mod to do..if you run porsche wheels and have a spacesaver.

finally big up to alex who sorted out these parts...the 3 inch xhaust flanges which I couldnt get anywhere - should make fitting exhaust a bit easier - and the other bits the plate for the fuel tank (see previous posts)
Cheers alex - well chuffed mate!!

richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics too big to upload cnat be arsed to resize so heres the ones that fit...
cheers JPs dad for shving porsche off my calipers to match the rears

and this is what ive been doing to my jacking points...shaving them off so they look better and match the missing one where the zorst exits
[/img]
richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch and learn...dont do dukes of hazard stunts in your car especially if a passat...the jump is fun but the landings not...and neither is spending hours completely dismantling your suspension to get to the sump... the reason for no progress this week - rubbish.

jp
Darth Admin
Darth Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh Out Loud
2013 Scirocco TDI GT
richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ho hum...
yes I have fixed sump - a new one was only 72 and the suspension/subframes back on...the rest is just about a million brackets etc then the front bumper and stuff. i shall now be driving very carefully adn definatly shortening the sump in my van as a result.

if your thinking of buying a passat 20v Turbo and maintining it your self DONT its honestly the worst car ive ever worked although its a nice drive!
richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hooray the passat was finished for about 2 minutes....and then I tried to drive it. The fekin gears wouldnt engage -the sticks a bit slack so im guessing the linkage has come unstuck during the surgery. Still I dont think its anything major...just flippin annoying...soon Ill be posting preogress on my van again...next weekedn I have a plan Wink
richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad I didnt miss too much- im on a mission now to meet the xmas deadline.

the plan hopefully involves Jase coming to give me a hand thus making light work Grin - which means my tank will be tig welded (by jase cos I cant do that), the tank floor/firewall will go back in and the handbrake, shock mounts and rear suspension will be finished off - then its engine and suspension out and the big underneath paint up. If i get all that done this weekend ill be a happy man Wink
richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally some progress......mainly been doing the upper shock mounts - getting the angle of the dangel right was a bit difficult.

bottom mount is only mocked up...due to using the porsche shocks I had to make some new m14 bottom mounts and mount em at a different angle to that in the arm...

I also did some painting of bits...since im now getting towards the end of the welding (im working front to back.). the next step is the cleaning, stripping and refit of all the underneath components that ive been trail fitting for the last year.

the exhaust is all finito in terms of welding and I have put in a centre flange (cheers alexfts) and all the hangers now...being 3inch clearance is close so im having it ceramic coated on the downpipe whcih shoudl give me a 40% reduction on heat soak...I will probably wrap the first part of the down pipe too as its VERY close to the clutch slave cylinder.

and heres my 911 dash...got for a bargain 60 quid form the local scrappy.

next up is fitting the subaru tank internals to the van tank, lower shoc mounts and the petrol tank floor.......watch this space
Alex (FTS)
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody helly mate looking good. Even though I have seen your van I did not realise how much fabrication you have done in the back there-spot on fella It is going to be a beast!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 1 of 29

Jump to: