FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
VSS sssssss!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElusiveStranger
Darth Admin
Darth Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: VSS sssssss!!!! Reply with quote

Okey Dokey, here's this week's thrilling installment (I didn't post in Subaru or General stuff cos it's not Manufacturer Specific but it is to do with engines)

I got a Brantz BR4 Hall Effect VSS (http://www.brantz.co.uk/html/english/index.html) Ford/GM Gearbox Sensor (yes I did type gearbox)
It's a 4 pulse per wheel revolution one.
There's 3 wires: One needs 12V supply, one goes to ground & the final one goes to the ECU (Check if not doing a Subaru that it is compatible)

Now it's not quite like the picture on their site:

it looks like this:

You get the little brass doodab, this needed a tickle with a file to make it fit the VW speedo. All four sides - just a smidge Wink

The VW cable end looks like this:

The inner cable is fine for going into the VW speedo:

Now here's the but. The new Brantz mechanism doesn't have a 'sticky out' bit like is depicted in their photo. The new one is recessed. (my photo shows it in the same(ish) orientation)

You need to make the inner cable longer!!! or just make the outer slightly shorter

Here's a pic of the wheel driven cable end:

The tape is approx 1" up the cable. Get a Dremmel or equivalent (or fine hacksaw etc) with a slotting disk and carefully cut through the outer sleeve. De-burr.
Connect it all up and smile.
(Smile even more when it cures your fan coming on too early at speed)

The BR4 is approx 34 from Brantz delivered. I'd assume it would fit a bug speedo but don't quote me.

'78 Bay, 2 litre 091 box, EJ20 NA & the ashtray's on the 'right' side.
I don't lean forward for hills any more Grin
Bugger, missed out on "Live fast, die young"
ricola
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find Grin

I'm doing it another way, using an early subaru instrument cluster fitted to my reshaped dash, the early ones have the speed sensor in the instrument pod, not the gearbox.

Rich
rjes
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: New cable mounted VSS from RJES for Bays and Beetles Reply with quote

As the Brantz sensor does not fit the VW cable properly without the modifications which Elusive Stranger detailed above, I now have an alternative which fits perfectly in stock. No mods needed to anything - just screw it in place between your caple and speedo in any VW which has the VDO M18x1.5 speedo thread (ie. all Beetles, Bays, and T25's --> '82). The new sensors also have a 5m lead - ideal for a rear engine.

I won't be selling the new sensors until they are tested, but as I don't know anybody with a Subaru conversion who needs a VSS in any of the above vehicles, I could do with somebody's help.
Whoever meets the spec requirements first can have a sensor at a substantial discount in return for doing some testing for me. If this sounds like you, and your VW will be in regular use throughout the winter, please get in touch with details of the symptoms you have due to not having a VSS, the engine and VW spec which you have. Thanks.

Richard,

R J Engineered Solutions
Quality Subaru Powered VW Components
www.rjes.com
rjes
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: New Vss in development at RJES for 82 - 92 T25's Reply with quote

I currently have a prototype VSS for T25's between '82 and '92 on test. It's working very well so far. The design is far simpler (no moving parts) and cheaper than my previous CV joint mounted pole wheels, and is extremely easy to fit. More details will be listed on here and on rjes.com once they are for sale. Thanks,

Richard,

R J Engineered Solutions
www.rjes.com
ElusiveStranger
Darth Admin
Darth Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: New Vss in development at RJES for 82 - 92 T25's Reply with quote

rjes wrote:
The design is far simpler (no moving parts)

Simpler & no moving parts? I hope the wheels still move Wink

Four rare earth magnets glued to the rim/drive shaft, hall effect doofa?

I can test one if you like Rich. I know mine's a total bitch without one.

'78 Bay, 2 litre 091 box, EJ20 NA & the ashtray's on the 'right' side.
I don't lean forward for hills any more Grin
Bugger, missed out on "Live fast, die young"
rjes
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No magnets glued to anything. It's a lot more 'oem like' than that - two screws and three wires, and that's it......

I nearly e-mailed you to ask if you could test the M18 sensor, but the mod to your cable to make the Brantz one fit propery may make it a bit of a bugger to fit one of these. To know it is fitted properly you could ideally do with a standard speedo cable again. I guess you'd have to mess about with the rubber sleeve which holds the cable outer into the steering swivel to se the lengths back to standard. Your engine being a pain without a VSS would be ideal though. If messing with the cable, and the fact that you already have a working VSS does not put you off, I'm interested.
What year is your EJ20 - about '97 if I remember right?, and exactly what symptoms do you get with no VSS?. I'm trying to come up with details of exactly what symptoms you get with a missing VSS on different engine specs, for a new page on the web site. Thanks,

Richard,

R J Engineered Solutions
www.rjes.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: