FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
air suspension / air bags and shocks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: air suspension / air bags and shocks Reply with quote

airbags etc - they send you an excellent free catalogue too......well worth a look.

http://ridetech.com/index.asp
Alex (FTS)
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Air ride 7000 spokes from airkewld.com Reply with quote

Yer I got some of there airride 7000 shocks and I can highly recomend them. At the moment I only run them at 45psi with one set or torsion bars and one tork bar. I recon I will remove the other set of torsion springs when I get the compressor from you Rich and then try running them at 100psi as they recomend.

I thought I would air on the side of coursion and keep some tosion springs so I didn't over load the mounts.
Matty
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if you're running air shocks, and no torsion bars, it's basically the same set up as the red9design kit? except you've got air shocks instead of basic coil overs? i bought a red9 kit for my '71 - but i'm not so sure i wanna run around with all the weight on 2 shock bolts :smt095

i'd love an air ride on the bay - i'll have a look on the site now.

In theory you could weld a heavy duty shock mount to the outside of the chassis rails.. or since i'm having a narrowed beam with custom endplates, i can incorporate a decent mount on them too... hmmmm
richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matty - yes what you say is right -you would rely on the bolt only which can be a bit scary when it comes undone eh alex Wink .

I have fitted air bags to mine rather than airshocks.....this was once available as a kit from Max hydraulics before they closed shop. I bought a 2nd hand kit and junked most of it except the components as it just bloted onto varius bits of the beam - fine if its not narrowed....but like you I have a narrowed beam and it was a bit of a headache.

basically i created a proper bag mounting but scollping out the chassis - i did this at the back too......im pleasedwith the end result but it think if starting all over again i would prob use t25 suspension as that will take bags much easier.
rusty69bus
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you guys checked this link http://vwkd.co.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=737&highlight=

Alex (FTS)
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that is quite some system! Very impresive indeed. Appart from the bolt coming off one time and the shock pinging off I havent had any problems with strength. Although I have beefed up the top mount and one day I will beef up the bottom mount-like Rich has.

Yer the system is very similar to the rednine one apart from I am running the top set of toursion bars still and now an antirolebar which really does make everything run smoothly. I have also adjusted the damping on the shocks to take into consideration the extra stiffness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Shops (Online or Otherwise) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: