FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
'78 bus with vr6 swap cooling issues.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bansheelos
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: '78 bus with vr6 swap cooling issues. Reply with quote

My cooling issues really have taken a toll on me. Let's start by giving you info on my setup. I'm running a obd1 VR6 motor in my bay. I have an aftermarket fan control module turning the fans on and off. I'm using a passat vr6 radiator laying flat under the bus. 2- 14" fans on top o the radiator pulling air through the rad. Regular temp thermostat. My temp gauge is pinned at 200degrees on a hot day it jumps to 217deg. My fans never turn off.

Here's a scoop that I made but as you can see my clearance is ridiculous. Looking to get more air flow to the rad.

Here's a pic of how my bus sits.

Wilfred
Darth Admin
Darth Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all right. Based on the pics, I see no reason for air to go THROUGH te rad. there are holes at every side. You need to create a scoop and a duct so air can only go through the rad.

A v6 (I assume it's a petrol) creates a lot of heat, more than a 4 cilinder diesel, but still it should be possible to cool it down.

are your fans turning in the right direction?

because your fan is so low, I would guide the air from the top to the bottom, because there is hardly room for a scoop under the rad. you could gudie the air using tubes from the front of the van, to the top of the rad. Make a sealed box over the rad, in which the air will flow. than it will be force through the rad.
Bansheelos
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilfred wrote:
all right. Based on the pics, I see no reason for air to go THROUGH te rad. there are holes at every side. You need to create a scoop and a duct so air can only go through the rad.

A v6 (I assume it's a petrol) creates a lot of heat, more than a 4 cilinder diesel, but still it should be possible to cool it down.

are your fans turning in the right direction?

because your fan is so low, I would guide the air from the top to the bottom, because there is hardly room for a scoop under the rad. you could gudie the air using tubes from the front of the van, to the top of the rad. Make a sealed box over the rad, in which the air will flow. than it will be force through the rad.

So basicLly leave the fans on top of the radiator and as opposed to them being pullers make them pushers? Also seal the top over the rad and fans? Sounds like a pretty good idea Wilfred. My only problem running tubes to the front of the bus is a little tricky. If you think my rad is low, you should see my front beam. But I get exactly what you mean.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: