FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
PUG 1.9 TD in type 2 someone most have one come on lets see
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
den
Padawan
Padawan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: PUG 1.9 TD in type 2 someone most have one come on lets see Reply with quote

Hi All Hello

Anyone got a type 2 with a 1.9 TD fitted ?
I have had a look around and seen one or two, but not seen any clear photo's.
I would like to see what way you have gone on engine mounts, on to chassis legs or made up a subframe & mounted to that ?
Anyway if you have any pics of your type 2 with a 1.9 TD, finished , midway or just started let's have a look.

Thanks Dennis

Last edited by den on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
pepper
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just replacing my 1.9d with a turbo at the moment, with the old non turbo, I decided to just use the original engine mount which the cam belt passes through with a welded on post to the rear crossmember.

But I've cracked all the bell housing on the gearbox with that engine (my fault the rear handbrake seized on) I was severly rocking the engine backwards and forwards to get moving again, which caused the damage.

With the new Turbo engine being so Torquey, I've decided I'm going to build a cross member to withstand the forces a lot better. So am going to use the rear engine mount position for the first place and then see if there's anywhere the front (oil filter side) to use to make a full cradle.
den
Padawan
Padawan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pepper

Sorry about the bellhousing,
But the front engine mount is ment to take the weight of the engine and the back to stop the roll, but all that snatching back & forth something had to give.
I surppose it best to find out now before you fit the TD.
If you get time to take any pics when working on it I would like to see them & good look with the housing.
famous phil
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello you must have been giving it some boot pepper , as i used to be able to travel at speeds upto 30mph and just slip it in reverse and floor the throtle and just smoke the tyres was a bit daft when so far from home ( bugjam ) very noisy dif on the way home , things we did when younger ,,
Auto Union Munga Jeep ,T4 2.4td , T4 2.5tdi ,Mercedes S Class on LPG , 66 splity deluxe , GP mk1, 3 type 25s 1 with 1.9dt pug engine + 1 with N/A pug engine ,,there are 6 t25s with pug power in Darlington
pepper
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may just use the back mount to stop the twisting its held by the gearbox mounts and the cam belt mount, mines a 72 so the gearbox has its own mounts you see.

oh Phil you were asking me which inlet manifold I'm using.

I'm hoping to use the original inlet manifold from the non turbo I whipped it off the old engine quickly before sending that engine to the scrappy the other day.

Den you'll need to find another inlet manifold too, the original hangs over the fuel tank housing even further than than Vacuum pump does.
den
Padawan
Padawan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pepper

The engine I have is out a 19TD xantia and the inlet manifold is about 30mm short of the end of the rocker cover so all should be well with blanking plate over vacuum pump hole.
pepper
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh you're lucky, mines out of a ZX Volcane, which has the intercooler on top of the engine.

I had a Xantia but I gave the engine to a friend to rebuild his ZX Volcane engine with and I lost the inlet manifold, (thinks I scrapped it in another car by mistake).
famous phil
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello yes the xantia inlet should be ok den , with the pipe coming over the top , when rover used pug engine they had an inlet like this as well

pepper are the inlet ports the same ? some oval , if you try and no gaps should be ok
Auto Union Munga Jeep ,T4 2.4td , T4 2.5tdi ,Mercedes S Class on LPG , 66 splity deluxe , GP mk1, 3 type 25s 1 with 1.9dt pug engine + 1 with N/A pug engine ,,there are 6 t25s with pug power in Darlington
den
Padawan
Padawan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes someone has got a type 2 with a pug TD 2.1 Thanks for the belowe Nath

original intercooler off xantia 1.9td - changed to 2.1 after headgasket blew, rad at back is a waste of time and effort, just put big one underneath. learnt the hard way, micra rad for additional cooling and ducting that goes to original heat pipe into cab. Only downside is when it rains- the cab fills with steam!

ElusiveStranger
Darth Admin
Darth Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

den wrote:

micra rad for additional cooling and ducting that goes to original heat pipe into cab. Only downside is when it rains- the cab fills with steam!

No different to a 'normal bus' then Grin

'78 Bay, 2 litre 091 box, EJ20 NA & the ashtray's on the 'right' side.
I don't lean forward for hills any more Grin
Bugger, missed out on "Live fast, die young"
famous phil
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool that looks a good fit , could do with a high ratio box for better motorway speeds at lower rpm's
pepper
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am getting on with mine, the rear mount where I had the previous engine top mounting is being ground off and I'm going to get a pair of LDV Pilot engine mounts from an LDV Breakers here in Warwickshire. I'm then going to mount them on a new under the sump bar to support the engine properly like a rear wheel drive north/south engine used to be supported in the good old days, haven't quite decided if I can get enough strength to each side without having to go all the way under the sump yet though.

I would prefer it if I didn't have too, it would make for a much cleaner installation and make for quicker engine removal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Forms Of Power All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: